Roasted Masala Chickpeas
- 2 15-oz cans chickpeas or 3 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 to 2 tablespoons safflower or other neutral oil
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons garam masala
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ to 1 teaspoon cayenne or to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur) or chaat masala, or use ¼ teaspoon kala namak
- 3 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 2 to 3 tablespoons rice flour
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Drain and rinse the chickpeas if using canned. Remove excess skin if needed. Add the chickpeas to a bowl. Add all the spices and mix well. Add less salt if the cooked/canned chickpeas were salted. Add the oil and mix well to coat. Dust the chickpeas with the chickpea flour and rice flour, and mix to distribute evenly. Spray oil or water to help the flours stick if needed. Spread the chickpeas on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Spray oil on the chickpeas, move them around with a long spatula (move the inner chickpeas out), and turn the tray around. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, until the chickpeas are crisp. If the chickpeas start to brown too quickly, reduce the temperature to 350° F and bake until crisp. Move the chickpeas around every 5 to 8 minutes. Cool completely before storing. Add a dash of chaat masala or salt if needed, toss and serve.
Reviews for Roasted Masala Chickpeas by Vegan Richa
You must be signed in to leave a comment or vote.
No comments yet. Be the first to review.