Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 to 5 cups chopped fresh broccoli florets (from 1 large head)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1 cup uncooked red lentils
- Fine sea salt, to taste (I used just over 1 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala spice mix (I love Arvinda's brand)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
- Paprika, to garnish
- Naan bread, for serving
- Lemon wedges, for serving
Directions: Add the oil into a large saucepan and increase the heat to low-medium so the oil can preheat. Add the broccoli into a food processor and process until very finely chopped (about the size of rice grains). Add the cumin and mustard seeds into the saucepan with the oil. The seeds should sizzle and begin popping in the oil right away. As soon as the seeds start to pop, cover the saucepan immediately with a lid, and remove the saucepan from the heat source. Let sit until the seeds stop popping, then remove the lid and stir. Stir in the onion, and place the saucepan back over medium heat. Cook for 3 to 4 more minutes until the onion softens. Now, add the finely chopped broccoli, broth, entire can of coconut milk, lentils, 1/2 teaspoon salt, garam masala, turmeric, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine. Increase heat to high and bring to a low bowl. Reduce heat to medium, cover with lid, and simmer for about 10 minutes. Now remove the lid and stir, and continue simmering, uncovered, for another 10 minutes, until the lentils soften and the mixture thickens. Stir every now and then to make sure it doesn't stick. Stir in the lemon juice to taste. Ladle the dal into bowls and serve with naan bread or pita bread. Garnish with paprika and a lemon wedge, if desired.
Reviews for Energizing & Spicy Broccoli Dal by Oh She Glows
You must be signed in to leave a comment or vote.
No comments yet. Be the first to review.