Vegan Alfredo with Watercress and Chives
- 16 ounces (454 g) gluten-free and vegan pasta (or pasta of choice)
- ¼ cup (40 g) plus 1 tablespoon cashews, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 ½ teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- ¼ cup (30 g) chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives, plus chive flowers for garnish
- 1 cup (34 g) packed watercress
- Freshly ground nutmeg, to taste
Begin cooking the pasta, according to instructions on the bag. While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce. Place the soaked cashews in an upright high-speed blender; add the oil, yeast, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper to taste; set aside. In a small saucepan, whisk together the water and flour, turn the heat to medium and continue to whisk for 6 to 7 minutes, until the mixture thickens to the consistency of a roux. Gently and carefully pour the mixture into the blender. Blend on high for 1 minute, until creamy and smooth. Taste and adjust any seasonings, if needed. Add 1 tablespoon of chives and blend on medium for about 30 seconds. In the last 30 seconds of cooking the pasta to al dente, add the watercress and cook until wilted. Drain the pasta and watercress and quickly rinse with cold water to stop them from cooking. Transfer the pasta and watercress to a serving bowl; pour the sauce over the pasta and mix. Taste and adjust salt, if needed. Serve hot with remaining 1 tablespoon of chives, chive flowers, and nutmeg.
Reviews for Vegan Alfredo with Watercress and Chives by Pickles & Honey
You must be signed in to leave a comment or vote.
No comments yet. Be the first to review.