Pistachio-Crusted French Toast with Bourbon Maple Cherry Topping & Coconut Whipped Cream
- 1 pound fresh sweet cherries, sliced in half and pitted
- 2 tablespoons good bourbon
- 1½ tablespoons grade b maple syrup
- pinch fine sea salt
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- 2 tablespoons vegan powdered sugar (a pinch or two of powdered stevia also works well)
- scant ½ teaspoon vanilla bean powder
- ¼ cup spelt flour (or flour of choice)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla bean powder
- ¾ cup non-dairy milk (I used homemade cashew & brazil nut milk)
- ½ tablespoon grade b maple syrup
- 1 scant cup lightly salted pistachios, very finely chopped
- 6 slices of your favorite bread (I used sourdough)
- coconut oil for greasing the pan
To make the cherry sauce, add the cherries, maple syrup, bourbon, and sea salt to a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring often, until the cherries begin to soften (about 5 minutes). Turn off the heat and leave the cherry mixture in the pan to stay warm while you prepare the coconut whipped cream and french toast. To make the whipped cream, open the can of coconut milk and scoop out the top layer of solid coconut cream into the bowl of a stand mixer (sidenote: save the remaining coconut liquid for smoothies!). Mix the coconut cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla bean powder on low speed until combined, then crank it up to high speed for 1-2 more minutes until light and fluffy. Set aside while you prepare the French toast. Preheat a large non-stick pan over medium heat. In a medium, wide bowl, whisk together the flour, arrowroot, and vanilla bean powder. Whisk in the non-dairy milk and maple syrup making sure to work out any lumps. Spread the pistachios on a dinner plate in an even layer. Dip each slice of bread into the wet mixture, giving it just enough time to absorb the liquid, but not enough time to become soggy (the length necessary will depend on your bread). Let the excess batter drain off, then press both sides of the bread into the chopped pistachios to coat it. Brush the heated pan with coconut oil, and cook each slice of bread for 3-4 minutes per side, or until toasted. You may need to add a bit more coconut oil before flipping the bread. Serve hot, with a spoonful of warm cherry topping and a generous dollop of coconut whipped cream.
Reviews for Pistachio-Crusted French Toast with Bourbon Maple Cherry Topping & Coconut Whipped Cream by Pickles & Honey
You must be signed in to leave a comment or vote.
No comments yet. Be the first to review.